This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
7 Developmentally Appropriate Toys For 2 Month Old Babies
When you’re a new parent, it can seem like there’s a never-ending supply of things to buy for your baby. But while there are many toys for 2 month old on the market that are marketed as “developmentally appropriate” for young children, not all of them are actually worth your money.
Developmentally appropriate toys for this age range can help stimulate your child’s brain and encourage them to learn new skills. Here are seven toys that are sure to keep your two-month-old amused and entertained without breaking the bank.
- Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle & Sensory Teether Toy
- Bright Starts Oball Classic Easy-Grasp Toy – Pink/Purple
- Fisher-Price Rattle ‘n Rock Maracas
- Splashin’kids Inflatable Tummy Time Water mat
- Skip Hop Developmental Learning Crawl Toy
- Penguin Buddy Silicone Baby Teething Toy
- Fat Brain Toys Original Dimpl Brand Baby Toy
Let’s review these toys one by one:
7 Developmentally Appropriate Toys For 2 Month Old
Looking for a fun and stimulating toy for your baby? The Winkel rattle and teether toy is the perfect solution for soothing sore gums. It’s made of soft, continuous tubes that are easy to grasp and hold onto.
Babies love the bright colors and interesting textures, while parents will appreciate how it can be chilled in the fridge or freezer for extra relief on those days when your baby seems extra fussy. The Winkel rattle is perfect for babies 2 months and up. It’s soft, colorful, and lightweight – making it easy for little hands to grasp.
The best part about the Winkel rattle is that it can be refrigerated. This will help soothe your baby’s gums when they are teething. And since it’s made of silicone, it’s safe to chew on.
Don’t forget to check this comprehensive guide about baby teethers in this regard!
The Oball is another perfect toy for your little one. It’s easy to grab and hold, so it’s great for babies who are just learning how to grasp objects. With 32 finger holes, they can easily pick up this ball and play with it!
The bright colors and fun patterns will keep them engaged as they learn about cause-and-effect through playtime.
And because it has a flexible design, your baby will be able to roll this around without breaking anything or hurting themselves. Your child will love playing with their new favorite toy every day of their life. They’ll never want to put down this bright and colorful ball that’s fun for everyone in the family!
Introducing the Rattle ‘n Rock Maracas! These maracas are perfect for little hands. The colorful beads and soft, pom-poms make them an engaging toy that’s easy to grasp and shake. Your baby will love shaking these maracas to hear the fun sounds they make!
They’re also great for helping develop hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. Plus, there’s no need to worry about loud noises because they won’t hurt their sensitive ears. You can even take them with you when you travel or go on outings so your baby has something familiar to play with wherever you go!
You’ll want one of these adorable toys in every color, so your child always has a new friend by their side while playing at home or on the go.
Looking for a fun and safe way to keep your kids entertained? Splashin’kids is the perfect solution! This inflatable water play mat is made of heavy-duty PVC and is of supreme quality. This mat is perfect for building strong head, neck, and shoulder muscles.
Plus, it’s brightly colored with sharp contrasts which will keep your child engaged for hours on end.
Not only is this product great for keeping your child active, but it’s also a tool for developing their motor skills. With so many different activities to choose from, they’ll never get bored. And you’ll love the peace of mind that comes with knowing they’re safe and having a blast at the same time.
Not only will your child be entertained, but they will also be getting some much-needed exercise.
Your baby is crawling and you want to encourage them as much as possible. We have the perfect toy for your little one!
This developmental learning crawl toy is an adorable bee rattle that will help babies learn about cause and effect, object permanence, and more. The bee’s wings make a cheerful sound when they are pressed down, which will delight your child while encouraging their development.
This cute toy also has a sturdy handle so it can be easily held by tiny hands who are just starting to explore the world around them. It’s easy for babies to grasp onto this fun rattle because of its ergonomic shape that makes it comfortable for all-day playtime!
Are you looking for a teething toy that is safe and comfortable for your baby with a simplistic design?
Smily Mia is the perfect solution to help soothe your little one’s sore gums. It has a unique design that allows it to be worn on the wrist, making it more comfortable than a mitten or other teethers. The skin-like silicone provides an extra soft surface for your baby to chew on while also being easy to clean. You can even use this product as a bath toy!
Note: Don’t forget to check this guide on how to tell if your 15-week baby is teething.
There are no sharp edges or crevices where dirt can accumulate, which makes this product hygienic and safe. This wearable teether will allow you peace of mind knowing that your child is always within arm’s reach without having to worry about dropping their favorite teething toy in public places like restaurants or airports!
Looking for a new, fun, and stimulating toy for your baby?
The Dimpl is an award-winning toy that was designed to engage the senses and help promote cognitive development in babies. It’s made of silicone and has a push-and-pop design that makes it easy for little fingers to grasp. Plus, it’s portable, so you can take it with you wherever you go.
The Dimpl is also BPA-free, so you can rest assured knowing that your child is safe and sound while playing with this fun toy.
With 5 different bubbles in the pack, there is always something new to discover. Each bubble has a unique shape and color combination that makes it easy to identify which one is which. Your child will love exploring all five bubbles as they learn about cause & effect through playtime!
What Are Developmentally Appropriate Toys? Do They Really Help?
The concept of ‘developmentally appropriate’ (DA) toys is becoming increasingly popular with parents and educators. According to the Association for Childhood Education International, developmentally appropriate play focuses on “activities that are thought to support optimal child growth and learning during each stage of a child’s development.”
What Are Developmentally Appropriate Toys?
Developmentally appropriate toys are designed to help children work on developmental skills as they play. There are six stages of child development. Toys that are age-appropriate will focus on one or two of those phases, rather than try to incorporate all six into one toy. To buy the most appropriate toys for your child, consider these questions:
1. Which stage of development is your child in?
2. How does the toy help your child work on that stage of development?
3. Will this toy help your child’s physical, cognitive, social/emotional, or creative skills grow? What type of play does it encourage?
4. Will the size of the toy be appropriate for your child?
5. Will the toy stand up to rough handling, or is it better suited for supervised play?
6. Is this a toy that will grow with your child, or is she likely to outgrow it quickly?
7. How long do you anticipate playing with this toy during a given sitting?
Note: Would you also like to know whether you should sing to small babies?
8. Is this toy safe?
9. Which materials and manufacturing processes were used in making the toy? Are there any toxic substances in the toy, its paint or glue?
10. Is this a toy that’s likely to break as your child plays with it?
11. Will the toy encourage creative play, or does it seem like an adult action figure dressed up in kids’ clothing?
12. Is this toy educational, and what will your child gain from playing with it?
13. What is the manufacturer’s recommended age range for this toy?
14. How much does the toy cost? Is it worth the cost, given its play value and developmental benefits for your child?
15. Will your child have access to batteries or electrical outlets if she is playing with a battery-operated toy? If so, it should be age-appropriate.
16. If your child is 3 or older, will he be able to open the packaging on his own? Is it easy for him to figure out how to assemble the toy (if necessary)?
17. Is this a safe toy that you’re willing to let your child play with unsupervised?
This list of 7 Developmentally Appropriate Toys is a great place to start shopping for your 2-month old baby. Knowing that they may just be starting to develop their motor skills, these toys for 2-month-old are perfect because they provide sensory stimulation and encourage development through play.
We hope this post was helpful in getting you started on the hunt for some developmentally appropriate toys!
Let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help out with all those sleepless nights or diaper changes.